After Social Work Education: Licensure and Other Credentials

The Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) (2010-2011), published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) of the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), draws its principal categories of social workers from the BLS’s National Employment Matrix (NEM).  That matrix, sorted by industry, places social workers within the category of “Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists.”

Within the NEM, the “Social workers” subcategory contains four major groupings:  (1) Child, family, and school social workers; (2) Medical and public health social workers; (3) Mental health and substance abuse social workers; and (4) All other social workers.  (The NEM also provides projections for employment in these categories ten years out.  Present projections are as of 2008.  It remains to be seen whether major economic changes unfolding in 2008 will result in significant revisions of those 10-year projections.)

There are various forms of licensing and other credentials that may be advisable or essential for social workers in those four groupings.  Posts under this “After Social Work Education – Licensure” topic, in this blog, look at some credentialing topics applicable to those groupings.

Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: